Reporting to and partnering with the President, the Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
The Controller will also play a critical role in developing and implementing the strategy for the company, which includes the development of a financial and operational strategy and metrics tied to that strategy. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Controller will be an advisor to: a) the Office Managers and, b) the General Managers, to assist them in the evaluation of their financial plans.
Principle Accountabilities are:
Strategy & Planning
- As a business partner to the President, General Managers and members of the executive/leadership team, assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives. Assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the company’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Develop financial and tax strategies.
- Manage the capital requisition and budgeting process including developing a tool to assess return on investment.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the company’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers sponsorships, potential acquisitions, and collaborations with external organizations.
- Serve as member of executive leadership team.
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution.
- Maintain in-depth relationships with all members of the management team.
Financial and Operational Management
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally
- Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities
- Manage outsourced functions
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organization structure adequate to achieve the department’s goals and objectives
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position
- Manage, track and report any out-of-line conditions
- Participate in acquisition due diligence and assist in negotiation of acquisitions
- Oversee the routine auditing of the various businesses.
- Develop audit policy and procedures
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Ensure that payroll is processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that accurate and timely bank reconciliations are completed
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Maintain a documented system of transaction policy and procedures
- Issue timely and complete financial statements
- Issue financial statements with an analysis reporting any out-of-line conditions
- Coordinate the preparation of the annual financial statements and tax preparation
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Participate in the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances form the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Maintain banking relationships
- Monitor cash variances and cash forecasts
- Monitor and reconcile debt and line of credit balances
- Invest excess funds
- Participate in the 401(k) Committee
- Participate in Human Resource activities
Oversee the bidding and selection of various insurance coverages including:
- General Garage Insurance
- Workman’s Compensation
- Comprehensive Insurance for Rental Vehicle Operations
- Medical Insurance Coverage
- Other Benefits as Directed
Team Management & Leadership
- Mentor and develop a team of direct reports, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective dynamic team
- Guide larger organizational team outside of direct span of control within the main business areas
- Assist in developing a good working relationship between the accounting office and the various company operations
- Assist in the regular review of developing the employees in the accounting offices in all locations
The Controller candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience, and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with automotive industry experience.
The Controller will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a BS in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration, an MBA is a plus; a CPA is a plus
- Proven hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Mature and proactive, with experience in partnering with an executive team
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model
- Past experience successfully partnering with IT staff to manage critical financial management systems
- An effective communicator at all levels of the organization, with strong oral and written skills and willingness to share information
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong customer service mentality
- Creativity, with experience funding activities in ways that both cover costs and generate operating margins
- Team player
- Strong developer of talent
Primarily in an office environment. The Controller will be expected to travel as needed to company locations. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.